2011/02/10

My Organized Pantry

It is embarrassing, but here is what my pantry looked like on Monday! 

Please.Close.That.Door.


I had stayed home from work because I was sick but decided I couldn’t live with it another minute.


When the girls got back from school, I recruited Natalie to help me clear everything out.  Once the kitchen table couldn’t handle anything else, we started just putting things on the floor. 


And for the next two days we all just walked over the mess and ate standing up around the kitchen.

A couple of weeks ago I had gotten an over the door organizer from Walmart for only $14.99.  It looked kind of flimsy but I did not want to spend too much money.  After clearing everything out, I installed it on the door. 

It turned out just perfect for what I wanted.


It now houses our cereal boxes, hot cocoa and drink mixes.  I love it!


On Wednesday I finally realized that things weren’t going to put themselves back in the shelves so I took my trusty helper Natalie and decided to hit the stores looking for some containers.

We went to Target and Walmart and I quickly realized that it wasn’t going to be an easy task.  Containers.Are.Expensive. We left both stores empty handed.

I decided to hit Goodwill and another thrift store we have in the area.  I found some glass jars for only $1.50 each but I needed a lot more.


By now my shopping partner was getting tired and cranky, but I bribed her with a quick stop at the mall for an Aunt Annie’s pretzel if we could go to another store.  We went to  Christmas Tree Shops and found some good containers.  They were not as cheap as I would have liked, but I decided I was going to have to spend some money to get this done.

After a warm pretzel and a quick walk around the mall we made it back home ready to have some fun.  Well, my little helper said she had enough “fun” for one night and decided to watch some T.V. while I started filling the different containers. After it was all said and done I had two big trash bags full of empty boxes and expired foods.

Here is a look at my newly organized pantry! I am very happy with how it turned out!



I love the tall glass jars.  I want to go back and get four more to house the rest of the pasta that is in boxes.  We eat a lot of pasta in this house.


These big plastic containers are great for housing snacks. We eat a lot of snacks in this house.
(Yes, it does bother me that the lid wasn’t all the way in.  I almost go back and take another picture [grin])
Here is the baking shelf.  We also bake a lot in this house.  Can you tell there is a lot to be desired about our diet? [grin].



The cans are sitting on the floor for now.  I want to get a couple of THESE can organizers but they are not in the budget right now.


Speaking of budget, did you keep track?  I spent $60 on this project [ouch!].  Much more than I wanted, but not too bad considering it got me a door organizer and 20 containers plus a bonding/shopping experience with Natalie.

I am so glad this project is done!  Here is the before and after picture.


And now is on to the next organizing project… 

THE COAT CLOSET [Da-Da-Da-Dum]

Stay Tuned! 

3 comments:

To The Moon and Back said...

YAY! you did it and it looks great! Love all the jars. Can you sent Natie over to help me??

Shannon Zimmerman said...

You are missing one important item in that pantry, an Auntie Anne's At-Home Baking Kit! I am happy to send one to you, especially since you love baking so much.

Contact me at your convenience!
Shannon
Auntie Anne's
shannonz@auntieannesinc.com

Denise said...

Just wanted to let you know about a great idea for storing canned goods. My mom and my friend both did it in their kitchen. I have wood shelves in my pantry or I would've done it. Take an extra wire shelf and install it upside down and angle the front down a little lower than the back. The lip will holds the cans in and the slight grade will allow them to roll forward. Works great, is inexpensive, and saves space.

Denise (asprinkleofthis.blogspot.com)