2011/02/24

The purpose of the task....

It seems I have been going full speed since the year started... barely time to breathe let alone blog.



It’s only February and I am already feeling burned out. I am a sucker for stretching myself thin. Most activities I get myself involved in have a good cause but as the to-do list starts growing, I start losing sight of why I am doing things and become obsessed with just getting it done.


On Monday, my oldest daughter gave me a wakeup call. She had wanted to go shopping for a dress for her upcoming class banquet, but my schedule had been so full, I kept putting it off. At the same time, I did not think we needed to spend money on a new dress when she had a perfectly good one at home she had received as a Christmas gift from her grandmother.She kept insisting and although I was a secretly irritated by it, I relented and we went out last Monday. Don’t take me wrong, I love spending time with her, but at this particular point, I kept thinking she was being selfish by wanting a new dress.

Contestant #1


We still had a "fun" time (a little tense at times) and came home with not one but two cute dresses, but as she was getting ready to go to bed I was still nagging her about the reason why she couldn’t just wear the dress she already had.



Her response not only stopped my nagging, it also made me feel about an inch tall “Mom, there is nothing wrong with the dress Grandma gave me, I really like it, but I wanted to have the experience to go shopping with you and having you help me choose the dress for my first banquet.” [Cue total silence].

Coincidentally, earlier that day I had found this phrase in one of the blogs I read… “The purpose of the task is to strengthen the relationship”. Seeing it that way does help one put things into perspective. It gives my tasks a different meaning.

Contestant #2
I am not only getting a dress for my daughter, I am teaching her to make decisions, I am building a relationship with her.

Natalie loved putting outfits together for Kaitlin to try on
I’m not only baking cupcakes for my youngest class, by having her help me make them, even if it takes me longer, I’m strengthening my relationship with her.

The concept applies not only to my tasks at home, but also at church and work. It might just become my new mantra.

P.S.  I found THIS article tonight about a mother's experience shopping with her daughter that totally made me laugh out loud.  I can so relate with her.

No comments: